This splendid and rare oversized tripod table was made circa 1750 in the reign of George II and probably came from the Lancashire district. It is a fine table with a rare superb 40 ½ inch top which is made from one single piece of solid mahogany. It has a fine original rich colour and patination. The top can be hinged into the upright position for display or to save space. The table stands on an equally well-proportioned tripod base with a baluster turned column with three well-shaped legs which are carved with acanthus leaf decoration at the top and c scrolls carved below. In the small areas between the legs, there are carved flower heads, this unusual feature is often attributed to high-quality pieces from the Lancashire region at this period. The legs terminate with a well-shaped and carved pad foot with original flat brass casters. All in very good condition. Original brass catch.The difference between the depth and width is due to the natural shrinkage of the grain on this one-piece top.
Please fill in the information below